...play it!



I'm Still Alive

I don't know if anyone checks in on this blog anymore. It has been a while!

Life has been totally different since I started medical school. What I thought was a busy schedule before does not even compare to how things are now!

I can honestly say that medical school is the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole life! (...well maybe with the exception of birth....but this is the hardest thing I can remember) My 'fun' life has been shown the door. Every day begins either 8am or 7am (but I try to get to school about an hour early). We sit in lectures for hours. We have cases to work on. We have assignments to accomplish. We also have lab days when we learn how to interact with patients and how to do different exams. We also learn treatment techniques...that focus on the bones and muscles. We do some massage-type treatment, but we got more into depth on different techniques that relieve other disorders and symptoms. Anatomy labs are ok...we don't have to cut open any bodies...and I'm ok with that. After I'm done with classes (which can be noon, 3pm, 5pm...depending on the day), I go study until it's time to go to bed. It's kind of depressing that I have no life. But I try to find some time to strum my guitar or hang out with new friends.

Although it's hard work, it's kind of fun. I always like learning new things...and I've learned so much, already! I sit around diagnosing myself and my friends with rare diseases...that we clearly don't have. I can treat people already (with some stuff). We have exams every two weeks. I've been passing (so that's a plus!).

I've had some time to check out the area, but not too much. I've gone to a couple of lesbian clubs, but they're much different from those in DC. The people here are different, as well. The college town nearby is ok for going out every once in a while. The weather is great! It's snowing in DC, but it's in the mid-70's here! Makes great running weather (if the sun didn't set so early...but the sunsets/sunrises are gorgeous!).

There aren't many artists that come through this area...at least none that I know. However, Brandi Carlile was here a couple of months ago. So, I went to see her perform. It was great...as usual. I was back in DC for Thanksgiving, and I finally got to see Tegan and Sara in concert! That was a good show. I'm hoping to catch more concerts when I can. But I haven't been able to keep up with new music. Some recent purchases:
Missy Higgins -- On a Clear Night
Paolo Nutini -- These Streets
James Morrison -- Undiscovered
Feist -- The Reminder
Tegan and Sara -- The Con
A Fine Frenzy -- One Cell in the Sea
hhmmm...some others?

If you're reading this and have some good music suggestions, I would be forever grateful! I'll try to post every now and then (as I am now...while sitting in class...with a lecturer who is just too boring to listen to). Hope that all is well in Kelkaland!


one of the disorders we learned about is achondroplasia. it causes dwarfism. some of the kids are just too cute, like this one!

posted by em @ 12:44 PM,

2 Bowls of Rice:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger green shouted...

you're still alive!

maybe you'd like grace moon and the nocturnals? my mom just introduced me to them. apparently they've been playing one of their songs @ the end of a soap opera lately. [kind of ruins the appeal, huh? but they're still a good band!]

glad to see you're back!

xxx,
g

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous shouted...

Em! Aussie Girl gave me a tip to go visit your blog. So you're in medical school? Cool! Say, I think I'm getting arthritis in my little finger. Can I get a diagnosis? Just kidding....I suspect you'll get a lot of that now.

I hope you have a wonderful Holiday this year. And time to rest up from your studies.

Regarding music, I must rely on my friends to keep me up on the scene. I just found out about Feist this fall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home